Frequently Asked Questions
This section is part of the GraduateRomance.org.uk online help system. (show contents). You can also view the entire document as a single very long page.
Advanced tips for using GraduateRomance
Here are a few tips that may make GraduateRomance easier for you to use:
- Stealth Mode/Fluffy Mode: In stealth mode, the pink banner, the GraduateRomance logo, and the flowers are all hidden. This is useful for
discretion if you are at a public terminal! We also recommend text-mode web-browsers for this. [NEW: secret mode: by making the text contrast very low, it is much harder for
someone to read over your shoulder from a distance. It is based on the fact that dark on pale is easy to read from afar and pale on dark is easy to read from close up.]
To change mode, click the link on the left hand side of the page; you can set this permanently on the Edit page.
You can also directly login to stealth mode at https://www.ruo3.org/graduate/stealthlogin.php. Note that Stealth Mode has nothing to do with visibility.
- The top right contains links to the people who are currently logged in, and it is very tempting to focus all your attention on them. This is generally not a good idea, because usually they are in the middle of a conversation
with someone else! It is better to respond directly to the profiles of people who are not logged in at that moment, because you are more likely to get a reply. This "rule" has its exceptions.
- When viewing the profiles, if you click list of all members, you will see a list of ALL current active members, not just those who have created a profile. You can send them messages.
- When viewing profiles by category, they are normally shown in a random order. However, you can change this by clicking on "last logged in", "nickname", "age" or "most recently updated".
The reason for this randomness is so that the people who logged in in the last few days don't get all the attention - it's not fair!
- When you are logged in, you can see if you have new messages by looking in the top right of the screen. This status is updated each time you request a new page.
You can also refresh the home page by clicking the GraduateRomance logo on the top left. Alternatively, you can use the Autocheck function.
- Often, an image or link has an associated tooltip: hover the mouse over it for a few seconds, and you will get an explanation of what it does, or some more information.
[Try it here.]
- When replying to messages, if you use the reply quoted link, you can view the original message while you are writing a reply to it. You can then delete the quoted part if you don't want to include it in your message.
- The URL of the site is http://graduateromance.org.uk OR https://ruo3.org/graduate.
Alternatively, https://ruo3.org. This will always work. (At the moment, the server is located at www.ruo3.org. There have been other, temporary URLs. So if you are having problems, you are using the wrong URL.)
[ ↑ contents]