Thank you very much for visiting Romance.ucam.org. We hope you like it. :-)
- This site was conceived as Romance.ucam.org by Richard Neill and originally realised by John Surcombe. It was originally specific to Cambridge, aiming to provide a service much lacking which would
improve the welfare and happiness of many students. Of course, the site isn't purely philanthropic: as they say: "If you want something done, do it yourself..."
If you are curious, here is a longer History of Romance.ucam.org and how it came to be.
Since then, we have also launched it UK-wide at https://ruo3.org. At Cambridge University, the team is run by: Richard, Parvati and Cupid.
The greatest other success to date has been in Oxford, thanks to Andy Hine and Dave Agrawal.
- We have also had valuable assistance, which we gratefully acknowledge from: Michael Brown, Markus Kuhn,
Alex Thom, the SRCF, Peter Edmond, Malcolm Scott, Jason Morley, and Jenny Scott-Thompson. Thanks also to the many people who have sent in feedback.
In particular, thank you to the Cambridge University Computer Laboratory who provided us with our internet connection for several years. Our server is currently hosted by
Retrosnub. We also have great partnerships with Cambridge RAG and Chocolat Chocolat.
Romance.ucam.org is a non-profit-making student society, run philanthropically, at our own expense.
- Our site runs on a Linux server with 8 GB of RAM and SSD, and is powered by Ubuntu Linux,
PostgreSQL, PHP and
Apache. Thanks also to asp2php,
Mageia (formerly Mandrake), analog and of course to GNU.
All of this is Free Software, or Open-Source. We have benefited greatly from them, and so it is fitting to thank them here. You can easily try Linux
yourself using Knoppix or Ubuntu.
- So far, Romance.ucam.org has had 21304 members. Of these, 8035 are still current and 64 are active (i.e. they have logged in within the last 16 weeks). They have exchanged 4266815 messages. (That's the equivalent of 133337 2000-word essays!) Here is a league table of where our members come from. For the curious, here are some anonymised webserver statistics.
- According SLOC Count, the Romance.ucam.org codebase contains 26k lines of code, equivalent development costs are estimated at over $600,000 !
- We use only encrypted connections (https://, wss://) for the site. Our SSL certificate's SHA1 fingerprint is: ERROR.
- Obligatory Legal bit: here are the terms and conditions of use, and disclaimer.
- Your feedback is always welcome, and we are always happy to help: you can contact us here. We wish you good luck!